Wellbeing Swanage is a diverse community group with collaboration between representatives of the Swanage and Purbeck Development Trust, Swanage Town Council, the Swanage Area Forum, Swanage & Purbeck Rotary, Swanage Linking Lives, various local healthcare groups, interested individuals, as well as larger national groups with an interest in promoting health and wellbeing like the National Trust.
We have come together because we want to build on the characteristic community spirit found where we live, to kickstart a project that aims to ensure that all community members thrive and have access to the groups and services that support their wellbeing, when and where they need them.
We want to:
- Help safeguard community assets – buildings and spaces – for community use
- Map out all the fantastic groups and resources in our area and help people to access them
- Identify where there are gaps in provision and work with the community to develop solutions
- Draw more resources into the area by building relationships with service providers and advocating for the community
- Grow community connections and tackle social isolation, loneliness or alienation
- Cultivate a connected-up vision, a new model, of how health services, community groups and individual community members can work together
What have we been doing?
Hosted on our website, we have been building a directory of the groups and services that enhance wellbeing in Swanage and the surrounding towns; If you are part of a local group or service please contact us to be included in the directory.
Our “Community Connector” information sessions are available to everyone to find out more, so that they can signpost their friends, family and neighbours to the directory and resources information that may be useful to them. Contact us to book a space.
Our community hub at Herston Village Hall – hosts our very successful Seahorses Playgroup and Youth Club. We have a regular community café and pantry running and other community events. We are in talks with Dorset Council to facilitate a similar community led space based at the Chapel Lane site. If you have a project that needs a home, get in touch!